Tuesday, July 8, 2008

WE DID IT!!!


Yep thats right folks! After 3 years of having a binkie, we finally took Madison's away on Saturday! I have been telling myself for what, the past year that she is too old for a binkie, but she was so attached I couldn't do it. Saturday we went to Fashion Place Mall and went to Build-A-Bear. We let Maddie pick out her very own bear,(which by the way she picked a dog..), and told her that we were going to put her binkies inside the dog. I wanted to make it her decision to not have a binkie, so I said if she didn't want to she didn't have too. Well she wanted that dog pretty bad, so she agreed. We went through the whole building-a-bear process, and Madison put her binkie inside the bear with its heart. The girl stitched up the back, and it was gone. Madison was so excited for her new puppy! So we go to the car and her first question is: "Mom, can I have my binkie please?" Break my heart!! I explained that her binkie was inside the dog, so if she wanted her binkie she needed to just hug her puppy instead. Yeah not so much! She cried and cried. I felt horrible! What a bad mom to take her most prized possession away, and give her a dumb stuffed puppy instead. But Chris said I had to stick to my guns, so we kept reminding her that her binkie was in her puppy when she would ask for it. Well that night she cried for an hour and a half before she fell asleep. The next night, an hour, and last night 45 minutes. So it is getting better. Over all she is doing pretty good. She has asked for it a lot less than I expected she would, and the meltdowns are not lasting as long when we say no too. We had to do it. She is a smart enough girl that I think she knew she didn't need it anyways, but it was just a habit. I think I am the one who needed the binkie. It would stop tantrums, and she would go right to sleep with it. Oh well, one more phase we have completed in the many more to come!

10 comments:

Kiley said...

Way to go! Good luck in the next couple of days . . . or weeks :).

Anonymous said...

It's sad but it's true. Our little baby girl isn't a baby anymore. I think Lindsey had it right when she said that her and I both needed that binki as much as Madison did. Now what are we going to do?!? I'm glad to see that both my girls are getting past the binki stage so well!

Nikki said...

What a cute idea!! I have to remember that if Brooklyn is anything like Sydney and Maddie! I have a cute comic about being on the binkie patch that I will have to get you. I scrapbooked it with a picture of all of Syd's binkies in a pile. Good job Maddie.....and Lids

Erica said...

Hooray! I think the Build-a-Dog (*wink*) idea was the best ever!! Way to go!!

Jenn said...

You did it! Way to be strong!

Burt Bunch said...

Yeah for you guys! It does kind of rip your heart out, watching them give up their biggest comfort! I'm glad Noah too made it through that stage...now if we can just get him potty trained!!!

jill said...

Good Job! I think that putting it in her little puppy is a cute idea!! Soon she will forget about her binkies.

Seattle Nichole said...

Poor Maddie! at least she still has it in the Dog! well tell Maddie I am so proud of her!

Seattle

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Aidan is our first binky baby, so I don't have any experience in getting rid of them!

Amanda said...

Millie would bit hers and then she wouldn't want them anymore, so I finally quit buying them and she didn't care. I was so lucky! I thought it was going to be a nightmare. Good Luck! I hope Maddie forgets about them soon! I do like the bear idea though.